Saturday, February 7, 2009

TGIF!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MOM, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MOM, HAAAAAPPY BIIIIIIIRRTHDAY DEEEEEEAR MOM! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MOM! And also, CONGRATULATIONS! On Monday, my mom will have finished up her Masters! She's worked so hard on an excellerated program, while working and taking care of my dad. You rule Ma!!

It's funny that yesterday actually felt like a Friday. Up here I often lose track of the days, but yesterday felt like a full on Friday!

Yesterday was another day filled with random activities. Those are my favorite days. After dog chores, Mark clipped the dogs toe nails while I made breakfast. After breakfast, Mark planned on taking out 12 of the Varsity team dogs, while letting the rest of them rest.

We hooked up Mark's team and off they went. The weather was unbelievable. While we were hooking up dogs, I was wishing I had one less layer of clothing. While Mark was gone, we had a few chores to do. There are a few dogs on the B and C team that haven't been run as often, so I took them out. Ophir, of course :) and Honey, Olga and Blue, Valor and Moon.

I really enjoy the Lunch Loop runs, but I don't kid myself, I'm not a distance musher. At all. I'm not much of a long distance anything. haha. One of my favorite things lately has been to take the few dogs out that don't get out often. As everyone knows, Ophir is my favorite, so getting to run with him is the best. Honey is such a great runner, it's a bummer that she has seizures. When she gets to go out, she's a ball of power and energy. Valor is still young and not totally committed to long distances yet. He's pretty happy with his 6.5 mile loop. The other dogs I take out are just being moved in and out of rotation with the rest of the team. I like to run Moon with the other three because she's fun to watch run. She's all business, and like her sister Honey, super powerful.

Olga is pretty funny too. She's not always 100% dedicated to the run. She runs, but she's also sight seeing as she goes. Her ears are always up and she's constantly looking around. I swear, when we are keeping a slow pace, she looks like she's skipping. Blue, well, I'm not sure about Blue. He works hard. But he's just kind of a goof ball. He chews on anything given the opportunity. The other day he snagged my mitten off the sled and ate the thumb off. When I went to yell at him, he just cocked his head and looked at my like "Oh, that's wasn't for me? My bad.". Check him out on Mary's page. He's got a great picture up. Rob says he's hands down the goofiest looking dog in the kennel. I can't fully disagree.

Anyhow.... After getting back from my tiny little run, I started the dishes. Rob had cleaned out the sauna stove, and knocked all the built up snow of the "silver bullets" (they are like giant storage sheds). We had a quick snack and waited for Mark to get back.

Mark and the A team arrived safe and sound and we got them back to their houses. The temperature felt like spring! So we all sat out on lawn chairs and watched the dog yard, waiting for Mary to call.

Rob has been itching to snowboard or to do any outdoor snow activity lately (other than dog sledding). He pulled the snowboard out and took a few runs down a hill behind our little cabin. I've wanted to learn for a while, so I strapped in. I took a few runs with pretty surprising results. I only fell really hard once. Don't worry ma, the knee is in tip top shape. It was my inner thigh that took the brunt of the fall:) Good thing I'm well padded. Rob was even a bit shocked at my skills. I'm not going to get cocky and hit up Copper Mountain any time soon, but it was a pretty fun time!!

The whole time we were messing around outside, so was Tubbs, and our little Keenan. She's the only cat I know that plays outside with a dog in the snow. She also comes to a whistle when it's time to go inside. Strange.

Trivia last night was a blast. We're really getting the hang of it now, and Rob has more useless information than he thought. Well, not useless, it's great for trivia. haha.

Today we have some visitors coming to mush their own teams. Mark has helped handle for the Blacks at the last couple of races. He's coming with his wife, Lisa and her daughter Meridith. Meridith is also the adoptive mom of Wally. It'll be a full house today and a busy dog yard! Can't wait to tell you all about it. Later.....

Today is also my very best friend ever, Megans birthday. I didn't want to steal my moms thunder though. So, Happy Birthday Meg!! I love you and miss you!

NO TIME TO EDIT, THEY'RE HERE!!!

1 comment:

Calicoteach said...

Hi master musher and snowboard queen!
Thank you for the birthday greetings and congrats on the Masters, YEA Monday is the final day! I am glad the weather has been better for you and you have got to take some quick runs with the doggies. Thank goodies for extra padding be careful! Love you sweetheart and take care!
Love, Mom