Thursday, February 5, 2009

Winter Warm Up

I've got a good feeling today, the thermometer says 15. That's 15 ABOVE zero! The rest of this week and into the weekend should be pretty nice. Let's cross our fingers! I'm ready for spring, but who isn't. I think I may have picked up the Minnesotan disease of always complaining about the weather. If it's hot, it's too hot, if it's cold, it's too cold. If it snows, it's too much snow.

Yesterday Mark took his team of 14 dogs for what was going to be a long run. Rob and I took two teams out as well. Rob took 8 dogs, I took 6. Despite the cold temp, the sun was shining and it was a great run. Rob took a heavier sled and I took a lighter one to try and offset the power of his two extra dogs. It worked pretty well until the end of the run. His team was a bit stronger and put some space between us.

Marks run didn't turn out to be as long as planned. A couple of his dogs were still a little sore from The Beargrease, and he didn't want to push them. One thing (of the many) we have learned from Mark and Mary is to always do what's best for the dogs. Whether it's a 6 mile run, or 60, the dogs set the tone. Mark will shoot for a long run today, while letting the sore dogs rest. Rob and I will take another two teams out on the Lunch Loop today, and hope to have as smooth a run as yesterday.

Last night Mark showed us what the Mush for a Cure trail will be. I'm getting excited! Like I said before, whether I race or not, it's going to be such an amazing event with so many people involved. There is a musher interested in coming all the way from Oklahoma! I read Mary's blog today and they are still in need of volunteers, donations, and door prizes. Any takers??? Maybe if you can't help, do you know some one who can?? Hop to it, or soon enough this will turn into shameless begging:):)



No comments: