Saturday, January 17, 2009

It's a heat wave!!

Well, not really. At this point, anything ABOVE zero sure feels like a heat wave. Yesterday was nice too! Rob, Hannah and I did some housekeeping around the dog yard and were stripping off layers. It was great.

Today as we were getting water, Mark told us that today would be a great day to go to town. It was a great surprise. We (us handlers) have all been a bit on edge with the crappy weather, and without much to do. A trip to town was exactly what we needed.

After breakfast we hooked up the otter sled behind the snowmobile and prepared for our trip. Mark and Mary gave us their keys so that we could jump start Robs frostbitten truck. We tried a new technique for traveling to the truck. This time Hannah rode in the otter sled and I rode on the snowmobile with Rob. We took the dog sled out of the equation, and it worked out perfect. We got to the truck, hooked up the jumper cables and it started on the first turn. It was a smooth start to our afternoon.

Once we got into town, we hit up the laundromat, of course. Then it was on to the co op. We've been having huge cravings for apples, and oranges. Rob and I both grabbed baskets and filled them up pretty quickly. Only a couple of pieces of fruit, because it will freeze on the way home. We stocked up on some of our favorites. Chocolate covered almonds, roasted red pepper hummus, pita chips, and yogurt covered raisins. Just to name a few. Then it was back to the laundromat to throw everything into the dryer.

We decided on a place called Chez Jude for lunch. We've driven by it a few times, and it never looked open. Today it was open. It was a beautiful little spot. It's right on the Harbor, so the view is fantastic. There were only about a dozen tables, all with white table clothes. We thought it might be a bit fancy for us, only because we may, or may not have had a shower in the last three days. But we weren't lacking money or appetite, so we went for it. It was delicious! As most of you know, Rob and I are chefs and have a serious love of food and critiquing restaurants. And lucky us, Hannah is a major foodie. So we order everything on the menu.

Well, not everything. But something from every course offered. Appetizers, soup, entree, dessert, and of course wine. Don't worry moms, it was only one glass. Two for Hannah :). The only down fall about being a chef out to eat, is how you pick a meal apart. Even if it's delicious and done perfectly, there is always something you think you could do different, or a way you could make it better. Today, we were able to totally enjoy the meal, and having Hannah along to talk about all the great food and presentation was perfect.

After our almost 2 hour lunch stop (hey, we were taking our time and enjoying it all), we headed back to do my favorite, can you hear the sarcasm because I'm laying it on pretty thick, part of laundry. The folding!! I hate folding laundry. I don't mind any other part of it. But the folding drives me crazy. Anyhow, after the laundry was finished up, we headed to the grocery store to get some odds and ends. Then it was off to the liquor store, and of course, Java Moose. Finally, home again, home again.

We got home with about an hour to spare before night time dog chores. It was awesome timing. A great end to a great day. Warmer weather, great food, a cinnamon brown sugar latte. Like I said, just what we all needed. Tomorrow Chel will be here with Forest. Mary and Chel will be running the dogs that might be their Beargrease teams. Sorry Indi fans (that might only be me), she's out. Too stiff from last weeks race. I'm excited to see how the other guys do. I feel good about this race. I'm a glass half full kind of girl.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Dude! Folding laundry is serious torture. I'm not kidding. If terrorists were interrogating me in hopes of obtaining any information I had, all they would need to do is make me fold laundry for hours and I would crumble like a house of cards.

"I'll tell ya anything!! Just don't make me fold laundry, for the love of god! Not the FOLDING!!!"

I HATE IT!!! I need a pet midget to fold my laundry. HA HA HA!! That totally offended somebody out there.

I LOVE YOU!!!