Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Back to the "Bush"

I had a great time back in Colorado, but after a LONG trip yesterday, I made it back to Grand Marais. The roads in Duluth and up the shore were horrible yesterday. It took me forever (or at least it felt like forever) to get to Grand Marais. Once I was in town I got a cup of coffee and waited to meet Rob. I was so excited to see him, even though it'd only been a few days. We started our gigantic loads of laundry and headed off to the Tavern for dinner. It was pretty much non stop talking. I got to hear all about his adventures while I was away, and I got to tell about all my activities. After folding our laundry, we started the long trek home. It felt longer than usual, I think because I'd been traveling since 4:15 that morning.

When we got to our cabin, I rushed in to see Tubbs. I hate having to leave him, and never would if it weren't for Rob. He was just as excited to see me as I was to see him. We unloaded the otter sled and relaxed a bit. I unpacked and gave Rob some of his Christmas presents. Then it was off to bed. I was exhausted!

This morning Rob headed off to Brainerd to spend time with his family for Christmas. It's only fair considering I was just gone for 5 days :). After he left Mark and I fed chicken soup and did the rest of the dog chores. Last night it snowed, again, so there was fresh snow on some of the trails. Mark left to break trail while I stayed and did dishes. We had a strange scare with one of the dogs, Honey, this morning, so I kept a CLOSE eye on her while he was gone. Mary had a half day (woo hoo) today, so she came home with Mark around 3. Mary and I fed the dogs their dry food while Mark relaxed a bit. He broke trail for the neighbors, and it was a bit more of a project than he expected.

After dry food Tubbs and I hung out in Mark and Mary's cabin while Mary worked on a re-write of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". It's pretty funny, be sure to check it out on her blog. After night dog chores and dinner, the evening started to wind down. It's definitely not the same without Rob here. I'm lonesome already, and it's only been a day.

Tomorrow I'll take my last turn getting pulled behind Mark's sled. Friday I'll be on my own with 6 dogs. Yikes!! Wish me luck!!

Also.... MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!! I hope everyone is happy and healthy this holiday season!!

No comments: