Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas Everyone

Merry Christmas everyone! I had planned on writing my blog last night, but after dinner and a hot sauna, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'm up early enough to write before our morning dog chores. That's surprising :).

Yesterday was my first full day back and without Rob. The weather is warming up a bit, and the sun was shining. It was beautiful day to be out and about. After dog chores, we ate breakfast and planned out the day. Mark and I (towed behind him) would run with 16 dogs and Mary would run with 8. I was super grateful for one more run behind Mark.

The run started off well. I was a little nervous, again. Having a few days in between riding was a little bit of a disadvantage. About a quarter of the way through the run, I fell. I made it out of the driveway, and around our first big turn. But I underestimated a down hill curve, and down I went. The only thing good about the fall was, I didn't let go. They drug me for a bit. But not long, and I was glad I managed to hold on. I was a little shaky after that. I was surprised I fell so soon into to the run. It was encouraging.

We took the turn towards the Beaver Pond, and headed across to the Burn. Just as we came in to the Burn, Mark shouted "Moose!" and pointed off to the left. There we saw 3 moose!! That's right, 3!!! Mark guesses they were a mama, a yearling, and a papa. They were making a run for it away from us. I had my camera safely tucked away. Mary said "Mel, take a picture". Well I'm such a wuss. I was still a little nervous about my fall that I didn't want to move a muscle. I was just riding, and braking. Haha. Maybe next time.

We went through the Burn and made our turn onto the Powers Lake Road. That's my favorite part of the run. We kept our eyes open for moose, but no such luck. Lots of trails, but no moose. We headed towards the far loop of our lunch loop, which is where I had taken a fall before. I had been thinking about what I could do differently. What I'm learning is that the dogs don't need driving, really. They need to run, and for you to figure out what the hell you are doing. So, I'm working on that last part. Mark gave me a quick pointer as we approached the downhill corner..... and tada!!! I made it. I think making that corner evened out how I felt about falling earlier in the run. The rest of the run went great. There were a couple of falls, but it wasn't me doing the falling. That's all I'll say about that.

As we took the turn onto our return trail, I started getting a little nervous again. That damn vicious corner was still. It didn't manage to disappear while I was in Colorado. As we approached the corner, Mark reminded me of his pointer "let off the brake". I leaned like hell into and let off the brake when Mark said. And....TADA!!!!! I made it!!! I was so excited!!!! We pulled into the dog yard, and I swear if Rob had been there, I would of jumped around like crazy and hugged him!! Instead, I just kept smiling under my neck gator.

We took care of all the dogs and put them back to their houses. It was a great day, and beautiful evening. Mary had put a prime rib in before we left, and I swear you could smell it outside, it smelt so good. After the dogs chicken soup, we headed in for dinner. I think my days of little sleep in Colorado, the crazy day of travel, and a day outside had taken it's toll on me. I felt like a little kid at the dinner table. I was waiting to fall asleep in my mashed potatoes. I was in bed, and asleep by 8:30, 9.

So today is my day to run a team by myself. I'll have six dogs, while Mark runs in front of me and Mary behind me. I'm hoping to god that I get the 6 slowest, oldest, and most of fond of me dogs. Haha. I'm excited, and nervous. Wow, Mel, nervous?? No way. I'm sure it will be fine. I'll just remember every mushers best advice "Don't let go"

1 comment:

Nate said...

YOU GOT THIS KID!!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!