Saturday, December 27, 2008

Missing my Partner

I'll start with yesterday, Friday. It was going to be my first day running a team of 6 dogs, all by myself. It didn't quite pan out that way. Mark had taken a fall on Thursday and banged his knee up pretty bad. Friday morning, he was feeling pretty stiff and achy. No running of dogs. Instead we took a day of rest. Mark packed down some trial with the snowmobile, while Mary and I wove neck and tug lines. It was pretty cool to learn how to do some of the rope weaving.

While waiting for Mark, I got a chance to curl up with Tubbs and Keenan and watch a movie. Just as my movie was wrapping up, it was chore time. It's at times like these, movie and chore time, that I'm lonesome for Rob. Chores take about twice as long when you do them alone. Luckily Mary is here all weekend to help out on the B and C side, so I'm not completely alone. But having Rob around, for me, really makes a difference:( Luckily he'll be home Sunday night.

This morning I was really looking forward to giving my 6 dogs alone, a shot. There was a little bit of a warm up last night, and this morning that cause a bit of rain. The warm weather and rain made for some very slippery and FAST conditions. Mark said it wouldn't be a great time for my first solo run. Plus, he's working hard on getting the Varsity team ready for the Beargrease that is only about 3 weeks away. The teams training and conditioning are paramount to my learning to drive. Which is perfectly fine with me. I'd love to stick to my strengths of dog chores and other chores around camp:) Rob's more of the driving type.

While Mark and Mary were gone with the Varsity team, I checked the straw in their houses. I ended up changing it out on almost all of the houses. I also kept the fire going, and made p.b.&j. sandwiches for Mark and Mary for when they came back from the run. Today's plan was a little different than other times we've run. Today, Mark and Mary would come back from our 30 miles loop, water the dogs and put booties on, and head back out for another 30 miles.

They came in for their pit stop, and about 15 or 20 minutes later, they headed back out. While they were gone for the second half of the run, I did a few dog chores, and attempted to start the snowmobile. I say attempted because it didn't go well. I tried about ten times and couldn't get. I was swearing up a storm! I could get it to just about turn over. But it wouldn't commit. Here's another time that not having Rob here, SUCKED.

Mark and Mary just came back from the second half of their run. The dogs looked beat. So tomorrow they will have a nice rest. A few of the dogs even got shoulder massages after the run. Mark will be giving a ride tomorrow with a selection from the B and C team. Mark and Mary will also be spending tomorrow night in Grand Marais, in preparation of their trip to Duluth on Monday. I'm expecting Rob sometime late, late Sunday night. Thank goodness :)

No comments: