Wednesday, December 10, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY POP!!

This is our cabin with new snow on it, next is the sunset last night (Tuesday), and then Valor and Rob.



Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday deeeeeeaaaaaaar Pop!!! Happy Birthday to you! Hope you have a great day dad! I love you and miss you like crazy! I made pancakes shaped into the letters of everyones name today, in honor of you. I remember you used to do that for us when we were kids.

Today is Wednesday and a day off of running for the dogs. I ran the B team on Monday. Mark ran the Varsity team and Rob the C team. Things went smooth, and.... WE SAW A MOOSE!!! It was pretty exciting, even though it wasn't very close. Still, it was a MOOSE! That pretty much made the trip for us. It has been snowing on and off for the last couple of days, so there were plenty of tracks to check out too. With all the snow, the scenery is changing, and it's beautiful. It's getting colder too. Monday night, we had another visitor at our cabin. It was Valor, Rob's favorite. He was so well behaved. And turns out, despite his gigantic frame, he's a lap dog. We always think that Tubbs is a sizable dog, until he's around Valor. Tubbs can fit under Valor. He's all legs! I'll post a couple pics of Valor in Rob's lap.

Yesterday I ran the B team and Rob the C team, alone again, not following Mark. Things didn't go as smoothly as when we follow. Hercules was my lead dog again. And again, he decided to turn which ever way he wanted. I was a little more prepared this time, and was able to make the corrections quickly, and sternly. Still, there was a fair amount of swearing. A lot of "Why Hercy?", "Do you just not like me?", "The rest of the team is cooperating, why not you?", "Do you have something you'd like to say?". It's very clear that he doesn't take me seriously as "The Boss". After talking with Mark and Mary, I think the next time we run, he will take a small demotion. Nothing says "I'm the Boss" like handing out a demotion. Maybe Indi and Emma would like to go left when I ask, and Hercules can watch from back in the team. We'll see. He may never listen to me. It's hard to stay mad at a dog with a face like Hercules:) Damn it!

On our run yesterday, we passed Neil, the local musher I talked about a couple of blogs ago. He left me a message saying hello. He mentioned his hands were tucked cozily (that's not a word, but go with me on it) into his Cabela's hand warmers, which go up to his elbows. And the fact that he was busy passing three teams in a row, both very good reasons not to hand out a wave. But I have to say Thank you to him, because this time when we passed him, he slipped out his hand for a quick wave. Instantly I felt a little guilt as I saw steam rise off his hand. No wonder he didn't want to pull his hand out of there! It's warm as hell in those little warmers, and zero degrees outside for the wave!! So thanks again, Neil for the wave, but I can fully understand if you don't wave again :) Maybe just a head nod. Ha ha.

Today the dogs are off, and we will be doing some chores. There is firewood to be cut before too much snow comes, sleds to be fixed up, and booties to be separated and organized. Hopefully I'll get to finish my Christmas cards, and get laundry ready for town on Friday. There is a winter storm warning for the Arrowhead right now (that's us), 6-10 inches into the night. There is snow predicted everyday into the weekend too! So we better get our butts in gear!!

One last thing.... It was pretty cool getting a message from Neil. Funny to think that people other than my family, and three friends are actually reading this nonsense :) Who knows, maybe there are even more people reading than I think. Hmmmm.

2 comments:

Fritzee said...

Well you know that we love you and miss you. You would be suprised how many people read this that not only you know about but the people who don't even know you that read it. Love ya.

peddler said...

Thanks Pup!
Funny the things you kids remember. Looking forward to seeing you in Jan. for a few days.
Love You
Pop