Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My first hook up

Sorry I haven't turned my blog into a daily blog yet. I'll try and give a daily update, starting tomorrow. That sounded like a true procrastinator. But really, I will.
So, yesterday was such a crazy day. Well, maybe not for everyone, but for me for sure!! We woke up and fed the dogs as usual. There has been seriously unseasonably warm weather up here so far. The dogs can't train if it's too warm, or they will overheat. It stayed just cool enough that they were able to make a run. Since Mary works during the week, it was just Mark, Rob and I. That meant Mark could only take one of us as a rider on the run. Rob and I discussed, and decided he should go first. Mark grabbed a huge string of harnesses, and a bunch of (what at the time look like a random mess of ropes) gang lines. Gang lines are what hold all the dogs to the sled. Along with neck lines and tug lines. SO.... then it was time to hook up the dogs. Mark gave us a quick harness lesson, and off we went.

I can't really describe how exciting, amazing, surprising, intimidating, and even a tiny bit scary this is. These dogs have so much more strength than their medium size indicates. And their true love of running gets them more than excited. They are barking, and jumping, and howling. The dogs we hooked up were Mark's Varsity team. They are pros and know exactally what to do. His lead dog has run in the Iditarod. They are so strong, that the four wheeler they train with has to be tied to a giant bolt like anchor that is buried deep in the ground, so that the dogs wont pull it away while being hooked up. Seriously! It all happened so fast. We put the last dog on, Mark gave them a quick pep talk, he and Rob jumped on the four wheeler, and they were gone.

After they left, it was silent. There was only one dog left on the Varsity side of the dog yard. His name is Hercules. Mark says he runs crooked and not as fast as he used to, so he's being demoted. Herc looked so sad as they all ran away. I cuddled him and pet him like crazy. He's so sweet. They all are. They all have such personalities. No two dogs are even a little bit alike. They are like people. I might actually like some of these dogs more than some people I've met.

They were gone a short but fast run. It only seemed about an hour, and I could hear the dogs barking in the distance. I knew they would be back soon. I waited in the dog yard, not quite sure what I was supposed to be doing. When they pulled in the dogs were almost unrecognizable, covered in mud. It's been so wet. Apparently they can get much, much dirtier. Mark said thank you and good job to each individual dog. The bond between Mark and his dogs is obvious. He can be in the garage, not even in sight of the dogs, hear one barking, and know who it is. It was still pretty cool and overcast, so Mark asked "Are you ready?!" to the dogs. They simultainously looked back at him, and were ready. It was awesome. So this time I hopped on the back of the fourwheeler with Mark. The trip was super short. We only did a little mile loop. But I just can't explain what it meant to me.

I think I'm more cut out to be a handler, rather than a musher. Getting the dogs ready was by far my favorite part of the day. After we came back from the short mile loop, the fog broke and the sun came out. It turned out to be a beautiful day. Almost 60 degrees! Rob, Mark, and I chopped and stacked firewood, and free ran with the puppies. That was another hilarious, and exciting part of the day. But I'll save that for tomorrow. I'll also have pictures tomorrow. Pictures of our little cabin, the famous dogs, Rob, Tubbs and Keenan. Maybe even Mark and Mary if they feel photogenic!!

3 comments:

Nate said...

DUDE!! This sounds fucking awesome! I can't believe you get to do this. I can't wait to see pictures and here more stories about Herc and his homies. This is awesome! I am meeting mom and dad for coffee after work and I am getting my webcam. I'll be in touch once I get it hooked up. I love you and I am so proud of you!!

Nate said...

YO! So give me a little background on this lil fella they call BIG D!! Denali is his more formal name. I am requesting that our father become a member of the BL.A.C.Klub and adopt him. What do you think? OK, I should totally be working...tee hee hee. I love you!!

peddler said...

Damn I love to read your stuff. Looks like (hopefully) we are adopting the last two dogs on the varsity. Put in a good word for us and we'll have the paperwork done tonight.