Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Townies" again!!

Today, after our morning dog chores, Rob and I headed into town. We take full advantage of our days off, as we know that once the snow hits, it will be much harder to get out of "the bush". We stopped at the laundromat first. I think we're getting a better handle on our dressing and layering situation, and thanks to the lack of mud around camp lately, our laundry loads were much smaller. That's one upside to the cold weather, anything wet and dirty, freezes! It's funny, to me anyways, that I'm blogging about my laundry. Aren't you all glad you know my laundry status?? Anyhow, after we started laundry, we headed to "The Dock Side Market". It's a fish market and deli, and Rob has been looking forward to fish and chips there ever since we moved to Grand Marais. Well, they were fresh OUT of fish and chips when we got there. Rob was totally bummed and disappointed. I, on the other hand, not being a huge fish and chips fan, ordered their lunch special. Rob settled for Trout chowder. That said, he wasn't full, at all. We made a quick run back to the laundromat to throw clothes in the dryer, and headed off to Joyne's, our new "must stop" for our trips into town. It never fails, they always seem to have something we can't live without. Today, was socks out of the discontinued box. I learned from my mother, how to spot a great deal. Fox River, winter weight, merino wool for only $3.99?? DEAL! After Joyne's, we headed to the Cook Co Co-Op. We thought about stopping there on our last trip into town, but ran a little short on time. It was a great idea to stop. It was so nice. We found a couple of our favorite snacks, and some really tasty new ones. By the time we were done at the Co-Op, we knew our laundry would be done, so we headed back that way. Rob was pretty hungry by this point. Trout chowder can only hold a guy over for so long. So, we ran across the street to "My Sister's Place". I've been there quite a few times and know, you will always get good food, alot of it, and have it served to you pretty quickly. Which is exactly what happened! I love when a plan comes together. Haha. After our second lunch, we ran to the grocery store to get our last odds and ends snacks. I wasn't going to miss out on a Java Moose latte today! So we did one last loop through town. Java Moose for me, and DQ for Rob. Wow, most of our activity in town revolves around food. Hmmmm.

We were back home just in time to unpack groceries, and get ready for night dog chores. Before we started the chicken soup service, Rob got the sauna going. The sauna sounds more and more soothing as the temperature drops. Right now it is 10 degrees. After chores, it was sauna time. Then a filling dinner! Cornflake Chicken is what Rob and I are calling it. And it's one of our favorites. After 12 years in a kitchen, I've never known the culinary capabilities of cornflakes. And that's no joke! Now, we are all (Rob, Tubbs, Keenan, and I) veggin out, talking about how we are going to freeze our asses off on tomorrows run. Also, how we better get used to our asses being frozen. We are all, dogs included, hoping for snow this weekend. The last couple of days have just been a teaser of flurries and flakes.

Rob and I will be heading back to Brainerd for Thanksgiving, and I'm SO excited. While I was in the Java Moose today, I saw two ladies sipping their coffee and gossiping like crazy. I almost shed a little tear, as it made me SUPER lonesome for my Auntie Steph. I can't wait to sit and have a coffee and a serious gossip session with her. Until tomorrow. About those pictures.... I'll take some of tomorrows run. Live action shots of my ass freezing!!

1 comment:

Nate said...

Did you read my damn dodgeball story or what? I comment on your nonsense all the time and I, for one, believe that my dodgeball story is fucking sweet! I hope you're cold today...jerk.

I LOVE YOU!!!