Thursday, November 6, 2008

Nap time


Today has been a pretty low key day. The weather is crap!! It's been raining on and off since yesterday afternoon. Mostly on. Mary's gone at work, and Mark is doing a ton of errand running today. So Rob and I are "holding the fort down". The fort pretty much holds itself down, really. We did our morning chores and it's been raining ever since. So that means no chopping firewood. But it does mean cuddle time with Tubbs and Keenan :) We ate lunch and finished watching a movie we'd started the night before. IWe snuck in a mini load of dishes too. In about an hour we will fill water buckets and dry feed the dogs. The food will be about the only thing dry, it doesn't look like the weather plans on letting up. But hopefully, all this rain will turn to snow this weekend and into next week.


I had a request for info on the little white puppy in the picture with Rob. Her name is Lily, and she's one of the sisters. She's a tiny bit bigger than her sister Rose. Her mom is Zena, who is one of the lead dogs on the B team. When we took the puppies for a run, Lily kept right up with the bigger boys. She hated being in the back, so if they slowed down, she would bolt right past them. She's a total sweet heart, and was one of the more vocal puppies on the run. In the pen is another story. But she was howling away on the run. On the way back home, the big puppies left her in the dust a bit. I think they just have bigger strides than her. So Rob brought up the rear behind Warf and Murphy (I think?), and I followed behind Lily. While we were almost home, she took a wrong turn. It's not necessarily a wrong turn, it's the way the big dogs come back to the yard. I followed her, realizing too late that I could have called her to turn around. About half way down the trail, she realized she was alone (or missing the rest of the puppies), and she stopped and started whining and howling. I tried to get her to go, saying "Let's Go! Let's Go Lily!". But she wouldn't go. So I picked her up and carried her the rest of the way with me, on the four wheeler. Next time, we'll both know to go the other way. Although I didn't mind the extra cuddle I got while carrying her home:). So that is the scoop, so far anyhow, on little Lily.


Also, I wanted to let you all know that my parents and brother just "adopted" two dogs on the Varsity team. Denali, and P.J.. If anybody else is interested in "adopting" one of the kick ass dogs that live here, check out Mark and Mary's web site. It's a great way to contribute, and learn about them.


That's all for today! As the weather gets nastier, I'm sure things will get a little interesting out here. OH, and to my little brother, who says this job is so easy. It really doesn't feel like work, that's for sure. But I wish I could send you a video of when we hook up the Varsity team. It goes from leisure, to chaos in a split second! It's awesome! I'll try and get a better picture of Lily, and Nate, I'll get one of Denali and P.J. for you. I'll feature Denali tomorrow, and P.J. on Saturday.

3 comments:

Nate said...

AWESOME!!! This has become the highlight of my day. It's like an on-going book only it's totally real and the star is my kick-ass big sis! SWEET!!

Nate said...

...oh yeah. Ophir AKA The Big Oaf AKA Big Pimpin' AKA Put me on the Varsity squad. What's his story? Remember when I began writing that story about the dogs at the Humane Society. Can you imagine the shit I could write if I hung out with 47 dogs for the winter?? Wild, right? OK, thinking about you always. I love you!

Loubutts said...

Melissa Kelly, I miss you more than you will ever know! I think that this may be the longest time in 7 years that we haven't talked! It is killing me. So much drama happening here and I can't share it with you! AAAAAHHHHH. Seriously, your adventures sound fantastic, and I can tell you are enjoying every minute of it. And Robbie looks adorable with those dogs! Must admit that I am feeling very territorial when I read you talking about "my town". =) I love you and miss you. Be safe!